Cheryl DeDecker from Springbrook did call us and she basically told us that Jonah would not be able to enter their current program because of the level of his aggression (the kids share rooms and he could hurt his roommate) but that they think he’d be a perfect match for the new residences they are building, where every child has his/her bedroom. The problem is, the new buildings are evidently earmarked to get NYS kids attending out-of-state programs back into NYS.
She wants to advocate to place Jonah in one of the new buildings under construction right now, and I told her I would help her do so, but there’s no guarantee we’ll be able to get him in - and if we did it would be October or November at the very earliest. I don’t know if we can make it until then.
On Thursday, April 7th, this is (in part) the note Wildwood sent home in his log book: Jonah had a tough day today. He’s had 5 aggressions – 3 being of very high intensity. We had difficulty getting him in and out of the safe room because he wouldn’t stop aggressing. We had to hold him in the safe room until he was calm enough to leave.
Next day: Jonah’s had 6 aggressions today – some more intense than others…
Meanwhile he’s already been accepted at Tradewinds and we liked it there too; they will likely have a spot sooner and their kids all have their own rooms. Andy and I don’t know what to do. We don’t want to risk losing the Tradewinds spot by holding out for Springbrook, which may or may not take him at all. Not that we know when there will be an opening at Tradewinds, because we don’t…but it’s a bird in the hand.
Andy says he’s doing okay emotionally – my cousin D came and helped him this weekend while I was working at our yearly convention in Saratoga. They shaved his head because it was getting so long, and I came over Sunday to help for a while; Andy was just getting him out of the car and Jonah was limping awful – so pronounced it brought tears to my eyes, and I must have cried for 4 hours over our whole situation and probably exhaustion from the weekend mixed in. Jonah’s been limping but it’s getting worse, and there are no pediatric rheumatologists in our area. We have to figure something out though, because it’s obvious something is really wrong with his leg – every morning he limps now, Andy tells me. Andy is holding everything together while I fall apart, weeping and worrying. Paarents of these kids are not supposed to be so weak. It’s simply not allowed.
And yet I’m the weak one in a sea of strength.
That’s going to have to be part one of two, because I’m out of time to type…I’ll leave you today with some new pictures of Jonah Russell: